Monday, August 31, 2009

Creative Juices flow best in the morning...


And late at night. Being woken up abruptly makes for an easy way to remember dreams. I don't know about you, but dreams are my personal psychological analysis...or are simply entertaining and I do my best to remember what I can. Living in a room with a  window that's 15 feet in front of railroad tracks, I wake up at the oddest hours of the night, with the strangest thoughts present.

It's also strange how dreams seem to pick right back up where they left off before you woke up...as if you're pausing a movie when you wake into reality, and then pressing play again. While Freud analyzed dreams as early as 1900 they're still researched in the modern era. 

This brings me to the idea of lucid dreaming... there's an actual institute in Hawaii that is devoted to bringing followers in to a state of lucid dreaming and teaching various techniques. Amazing. 

Although dreams are irrelevant to some, for myself , others and countless other cultures dreaming can provide precious insight into the self and one's emotions. Plus, they make your perspective on reality a lot more clear. A recent study showed that participants who were allowed eight hours of sleep but woken up at the beginning of their REM stage of sleep (the stage in which you dream), experienced hallucinations, difficulty concentrating, and other signs of psychosis just after three days of missing out on REM sleep. Don't call your therapist, close the laptop and start the snoozin'.



No comments:

Post a Comment