Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hip-hop is a Guilty Pleasure

Mainstream hip-hop to underground stuff, late eighties to to modern day...I like it all. Recently it seems I have plenty of friends with a taste for music that's 'too sophisticated' for hip-hop which I don't appreciate one bit.  Sure, lot's of hip-hop lyrics are demoralizing and  offensive but regardless hip-hop just makes you feel good (no need to get offended or take Luda's lyrics so seriously, ladies). Not to mention, there are plenty of artists out there who attempt at being political in their music, or make their music for a cause. 

That being said, my most recent favorite artist is Talib Kweli, who's music sounds a lot like De La Soul or A Tribe Called Quest. Their music was most popular in the late eighties and nineties but I've most recently gotten addicted to it after hearing Talib. On a run, on the way to school, or just hanging around the house these artists keep my spirits up...

Yes, It's silly, but I love it (keep in mind, this is from 1990)


No comments:

Post a Comment